Hidden along the base of the mountains on the west side of Las Vegas Valley, is Blue Diamond. Blue Diamond is not an official city and has a population of a few hundred people. You are more likely to see a gold cart roaming the streets then a car.
The town includes a park, city pool, library, elementary school, event hall, church, and mercantile / gas station. The mercantile (general store) was built in 1942 and originally sold household staples and sundries to residents who were mostly miners from the near by mines, especially the Blue Diamond Mine – hence the name.
Cottonwood Spring, on a hillside on the south side of the ‘town’, was a watering place and camp site on the Old Spanish Trail and then later on the Mormon Road between Mountain Springs and Las Vegas Springs.
Employment in Blue Diamond is not – many residents are retired. Those that do work generally commute to Las Vegas which thanks to the growth of the city – makes it possible with ease.